It's true. I haven't posted on the blog for a while. I haven't felt like I had much to post! But I'm really excited about a couple of things in my family history searches as of late. One thing I'm excited about is researching a new family line. I know most of our direct descendants are in order for many lines. I've been working on the Hughes/Newman line and much of that line is as far back as I can go. It would take a major investigation to open the vaults beyond what they are and I just don't have the means right now (like time at the FHC) to do it. BUT, there are many tangent lines that still need work done. I found one such line and intend to do many more.
The line I'm working on is on the Hughes side (Elizabeth Hughes Newman). Her grandparents were James and Elizabeth Andrew Hughes of Carsington, Derbyshire, England. One of their daughters, Mary was married to a James Tomlinson and using online records I've been able to push that line back 4 or 5 generations! C'mon. That's pretty exciting! I just recently uploaded them to the New Family Search so their temple work is ready to be done.
How did I do all this online from my living room? Many English counties have their parish (church) records available online. Before the 1800's, EVERYONE was a part of the Church of England so almost every christening, marriage, and burial are recorded. The trick is to just put the "puzzle" together so to speak. I'd be happy to answer any questions about it.
The other thing I'm excited about is from the Cross line. I'm gathering all the information I can on David Eugene's father, Abisha, and family so we can take a trip to North Bloomfield OH where the family homesteaded. In searching, I came across an article published in a civil war periodical called "Letters Home, from David E. Cross". I ordered a copy and I'm excited to examine it when it comes. I'm hoping we'll get a little more details about David's life in the military. I'll let you know when it comes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment